Monday, June 30, 2008

A Miracle, 5 years ago....


So today is my son, Eli, turns 5!  I can't believe that A: Time goes by that fast.  And #2: That I have a son that is 5 years old!  I love his birthday, and not just for the obvious reasons like parties and cake.  (Although, I REALLY like parties and cake!)  But I love that it is the anniversary of the most amazing medical miracles.  Now, for those of you who have talked to me recently know that I am really excited to see and experience God's healing power over the last few months.  But what is so cool is that God had already demonstrated the ultimate miracle that only a handful of people get to see, and I just realized it not too long ago.  Yes, I am talking about resurrection of the dead.  You see, when Eli was born, he was clinically dead.  He was white, lifeless and not breathing for only God knows how long.  I have watched the video of his birth only once because it is just too upsetting.  They immediately rushed him up to the Neo-natal intensive care unit with an oxygen tube in his throat.  One the way up to the NICU, he pulled the tube out of his throat, and started breathing on his own!  He was 9.15 pounds when he was born, yeah, I know...
After he had gone up to the 4th floor, the doctor came in and told us more bad news.  He had suffered respiratory failure, post-stress disorder, he had broken his collar bone, he would not be able to go home with us from the hospital for a long time, and he would likely not breast-feed.  (Which was very sad for me because that was what I had planned.)  He was in this little incubator that had tubes running everywhere on his little/huge body, feeding him and monitoring his breathing, heart rate, you name it.  We could only go see him every 3 hours and only 2 people at time could go in.  It was a very sad but joyous time.  Very emotional to say the least, (not too mention my recovery was less than ideal :)  But it didn't take very long to see that God had something different in mind for Eli.  The next morning after he was born, I went to see him and he immediately started breast feeding with no problem.  His breathing and heart was normal so he was allowed to leave the hospital when I was released, and his collar bone healed in record time!  It's so amazing to watch him now, playing in the pool and laughing.  Watching him jump and play and smile and growing up to be one of the most amazing little boys I have ever met!  He has such Godly favor, everyone who ever meets Eli falls in love with him, and I think its because God's hand has been resting on Eli since the moment he was born!

5 comments:

Nathan said...

The owners of our shop have a 5-year-old Eli as well. Weird.

They have a 3-year-old Jesse who all the doctors thought would have brain damage when she was born. She's fine.

You guys need to come back up in the fall when our owners are back from Ohio and meet them.

Amanda Parker Uruski said...

OH who could not love Eli!!! He is a gift from God for sure!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELI

Anonymous said...

I love that kid so much.
And am so glad he was made just the way he is. Amazing.
God always knows what he's doing.

AJ Parker said...

got myself a blog of my own.

Unknown said...

OOOOOHHHH I LOVE YOU!!!! and I miss you sooo much. How cute is that pic and great job telling Eli's story. Pray for unity for our team! And, pray that we just thrive out here. God is doing some great things already... And, it is tiring and hard, but my excitement is still high... thanks for keeping me updated. It is hard to get online too much... you are an amazing woman of God and a wonderful MOM. Praying for you. t*