Monday, August 4, 2008

E all grown up!


So today was Eli's first day of kindergarten! What?!? Am I old enough to have a child in elementary school? I don't feel that old, but then some days I feel 37. Some thing about having children (not babies, but children) makes one feel older than they are. I am SO excited about this year though. We are so blessed to have an amazing teacher for Eli. He is in a self-contained autistic classroom with 2 other little boys, (both autistic) as well as a teacher and para-pro. He is going to be in a perfect environment to learn and grow. He will get to have speech therapy and OT, but get the benefit of being with the regular ed kids at lunch, PE, art, and music throughout the week! The best of both worlds, one on one learning time but social interaction with a lot of other kids.

And his teacher is perfect, she is VERY knowledgeable about autism and strict when it come to teaching and making a difference, but she also LOVES Eli so much. She jokes around that if he comes home one day with his cheeks missing it's because she kissed them all off! But I know that she will be on Andy and I to incorporate as much learning at home as possible, she will be able to help us at home as well as in the classroom, which is just so above and beyond what we could ask for. I can't thank God enough for the amazing teachers he has put in my kids life! His teacher from last year (pre-k) misses him so much, she decided to work in his class in Waumba Land on Sundays so she could be with him! Isn't that amazing! I can't wait to see how much he changes over the next year...it's going to be great to watch! I will keep ya'll updated on how he is doing. FYI: He had a GREAT first day!

I love my adorable E so much, he has so much to offer the world. He has offered me a different perspective, patience and acceptance. He has shown me that the world is not black and white, there are shades of grey and to never judge a book by it's cover. He has brought me extreme joy, as well as tears. But it is in the tears that I learn and stretch. He has taught me gratitude. God has used him to show me his glory manifested. I have never seen a person that holds such Godly favor among man before. People see God's hand on his life and it draws them to him. I am so proud to call Eli my son. How much more is God proud to call us his.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love him so much too. Sweet Eli starting real elementary school!! Such a big boy!!
*as he hits his head* "oh no"

Anonymous said...

I'm do glad he had a great first day!!! i love you!