Saturday, August 9, 2008

"Mandanas"



I was SO pumped to get my new bag in the mail today. This is a bag I ordered from a little shop in Chattanooga called The World Next Door. Ya'll have heard me talk about it before I know. The last couple of times I was up there, this bag caught my eye. I LOVED it. I just never had a reason to get a large shoulder bag, until now! I need one for school, for my notebooks and books, etc. So immediately I decided I wanted to get the tree bag.

A few days later I was in Target, one of my favorite overall stores, and saw a couple of bags I liked. Not as much as the tree bag mind you, but I thought that maybe it would just be easier to get one of those so I wouldn't have to order the other and pay shipping. Then, out of nowhere, I thought about an article about a documentary that I had wanted to watch called What would Jesus buy. Now I know that it sounds really corny, but it talked about big chain stores and sweatshops and the little guys not making it. And it hit me, if I really wanted to make a difference in the world, why not pay attention to where I buy stuff? The WND is a fair trade fed. member. All their products are purchased from the "little guys" in other countries, therefore supporting people who otherwise can't make a living. So, as corny as it sounds....What would Jesus buy? Who would he want to support? Where would he want his money to go? I put the bag down and asked Andy to go ahead with the bag online. Look at the tag that came with the bag:

This is a fair trade product, handmade by artisans of Marwar villages in Rajasthan, India. This applique work is done by women of these villages. The applique designs are inspired by nature & "Mandanas" (traditional patterns made on floor". These are draught prone regions and this art is the main source of income in drought & non agricultural times. Income from this art helps in development of this community by bringing education, electricity, and healthcare.

Now, would I have that same experience had I bought at Target? No way. I am not saying let's all boycott Target, hardly. Let's just think about some of the things that we could get somewhere else, at a place that could make a difference. You want some original jewelry? Go to a fair trade store, their jewelry is beautiful and handcrafted. Gifts? They have a variety of fun and different gifts, from cloths to accessories, to journals made from elephant dung! I think that might be my next purchase! Lol. My point is, let's just hide this in our heart and think before we make our next purchase. I am learning that the little things matter, they make a difference.

Check out worldnextdoormarket.blogspot.com, they have a link to their online store. It's awesome. Shout out to Nathan and his wife! Thanks for all you have done to make a difference!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! I'm so excited that you got that bag. I LOVE that store . . . Wyndi

Unknown said...

Oh def. love that store. The fun we had when we went there. :) And, so you know we always do the same things... and so, you are buying things from the fair trade market and me I am buying things from the handicarfters. meeting them on the streets and hanging out with them and supporting their art. you rock girl. love the bag. rock it.

Nathan said...

Word, glad you got the bag. One of our biggest goals for the shop is to get folks thinking about where their money goes when they make purchases. There are some basic necessities, like fuel, that leave the consumer little choice but to support an international megacorporation that gouges its customers at the whim of cartels, but in most other areas of life, alternative options exist that promote human and environmental welfare rather than harming it. Fair Trade is of course one of the most prominent of these, but things like local food and green energy do the same. We definitely aren't saying that all Christians should only buy fair trade, shop at farmers' markets, and buy green energy credits to offset their carbon footprint. But we do think that once a person, Christian or not, begins to think about how their spending affects their community and society, that these options will seem less like "oh, that's all hippie stuff," and more like "hm, what if EVERYONE did this...?"

We're thrilled to see the ripple effect of our business touching areas outside our local community now. Tell all your friends!

-nathan
WND