Saturday, September 13, 2008

McCain vs. Obama, Does God Care?

I am not going to lie. I am alittle confused about this election. It's not about Republicans vs. Democrates because I am not either one. It's more about issues, what issues does God care about? Poverty, loving one another, people's lives, etc. I know that Jesus loves babies, and I believe that abortion is wrong. But does God care about them more than the innocent children dying in Iraq? I don't think so. I am not a fan of this war. I believe that their are times for war, especially when we are defending people who can't otherwise defend themselves (WWII). And I don't agree with this one, BUT I don't want it to be handled wrong at the end and had been for nothing. See where I am having issues with the issues?!?

What does GOD care about? Does he even care who should be president? The only thing I know for sure about Jesus' beliefs on politics is that he hated when people did terrible things in God's name, the pharisees for example. They were the Jewish politics of the day, and he despised them. But Rome was the super power of the day, and he didn't really say much about them.... So where does that leave us?

I know that it is my "duty as an American citizen" to vote. And I know that I need to. But my first duty is NOT to America. It is to My Jesus. So what do I do? I would love some feed back from you guys. I did a little research today and here are a few things that I liked that both candidates said at their speeches at their respective conventions.

Obama: talking about the parties uniting...
"We may not agree on abortion, but surely we can agree on reducing the number of unwanted pregnancies in this country. The reality of gun ownership may be different for hunters in rural Ohio than for those plagued by gang-violence in Cleveland, but don't tell me we can't uphold the Second Amendment while keeping AK-47s out of the hands of criminals. I know there are differences on same-sex marriage, but surely we can agree that our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters deserve to visit the person they love in the hospital and to live lives free of discrimination. Passions fly on immigration, but I don't know anyone who benefits when a mother is separated from her infant child or an employer undercuts American wages by hiring illegal workers. This too is part of America's promise - the promise of a democracy where we can find the strength and grace to bridge divides and unite in common effort."

McCain: He loves this country, I may not agree with how much he loves it, but I would think that it would be a good quality for a president!.....
"I'm not running for president because I think I'm blessed with such personal greatness that history has anointed me to save our country in its hour of need. My country saved me. My country saved me, and I cannot forget it. And I will fight for her for as long as I draw breath, so help me God.
If you find faults with our country, make it a better one. If you're disappointed with the mistakes of government, join its ranks and work to correct them. Enlist in our Armed Forces. Become a teacher. Enter the ministry. Run for public office. Feed a hungry child. Teach an illiterate adult to read. Comfort the afflicted. Defend the rights of the oppressed. Our country will be the better, and you will be the happier. Because nothing brings greater happiness in life than to serve a cause greater than yourself. "


At this point and time, I have NO idea who I am going to vote for, if I even do vote. How about ya'll, what do you think?

2 comments:

The Elliott's Happenings said...

Steen,
This is Chad. To start I like your blog. I am not a big blogger but I am impressed with people that have them. I wanted to respond to your question/comment on the presidential race. I think that whenever there is a decision to be made God deeply cares and gives us the wisdom to make the right choice; if God did not care about political matters he would not have sent Samuel to anoint David as King or have even given the people of Israel the chance to have a king in the first place (SAUL). I think it is our duty to be involved and let our voice be heard and I believe God cares about every voice.

I would never tell anyone who to vote for but there are two men wanting to lead this country of people (Whom God cares about). It seems to me one cares a lot about himself and one cares a lot about his country.

Amanda Parker Uruski said...

Way to keep to your word and blog about it.. I envy your mad blogging skills!