Monday, November 24, 2008

The Shack.



So pretty much everyone that I know and care about has read this book. And EVERYONE has an opinion on it. It reminds me of this past election, everyone has a stance and everyone feels strongly about it. Many people that I have talked to did not like the book at all. Although, most of the people I have talked with has very mixed emotions about it. I for one, will say that I had emotions about it, but the were NOT mixed. I loved it. Everything and every part about it. In my opinion, it was a glorious and wonderfully told story about the heart of God, Papa. :) That was one of the favorite parts of the book for me, the fact that it refers to God as Papa. I have a name for God myself, Abba. (Which is "papa" in aramaic.) So obviously, I liked the book right off!

One of the main things that put people off about the book is that Papa reveals himself to the main character as a bigger black woman. First let me say, that God is capable of showing whatever part of himself to us that he wants. It made perfect sense to me that he did that. The main character had a bad childhood, with a father that beat him and his family growing up. It was a stumbling block for the main character to see God as a father figure, so he revealed himself to him as something that (for him) was easier to relate to. I also loved how God appeared as the trinity. Three separate entities. I believe that that was important as well, to show the different roles that Abba, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit plays in our lives.

Everything that I have learned over the past several years about the heart of God, what he cares about, values, why he created and what he desires were all in this book. He desires relationship, and that relationship is NOT forced, it is based on choices. Not selfish wants or needs, but selfless giving. True friendship.

God is NOT into rituals, institutions, or religion. Not into power or control, that only leads to selfish desire and unhealthy ambition. He doesn't want to simply be the highest priority in your life, he wants to BE your life. The importance of forgiveness, and the danger in holding in bitterness and pride in your heart. Why we shouldn't judge, why we CAN'T judge. Our desire for control in our lives and how we must give up control to be completely free. That we were created to be loved, and denying ourself love would be like clipping the wings to a bird, making it incapable to fly.

That whether or not we want to admit it, HE knows and desires what is best for us. That he can ALWAYS take something ugly and evil and turn it glorious and beautiful. That I am a beautiful MESS! Just because God always knows the path we are going to take, doesn't mean we don't have a choice in the matter. The one thing Abba wants from us is our trust, that we trust him to know and do what is best for us.

One of my favorite moments in the book is when the main character, Mack, is sitting down for breakfast with Papa. His is upset and questioning Papa about him punishing people.

So he asks, "Honestly, don't you enjoy punishing those who disappoint you?" At that, Papa stopped her preparations and turned toward Mack. He could see a deep sadness in her eyes. "I am not who you think I am Mackenzie. I don't need to punish people for their sin. Sin is its own punishment, devouring you from the inside. It's not my purpose to punish it; it's my joy to cure it."

I love that. People think that God's desire is to punish us when we do wrong. But that is NOT his heart or desire, he wants to free us and cure us from the darkness that sin brings into our lives. Thank you Abba, for wanting me to be free! For wanting to cure all of the sickness and yuck that is inside me.

There are SO many things like this that I love about this book; honestly, there are too many to list. I already want to read it again. One last quote to end this post....

"My purposes are not for my comfort, or yours. My purposes are always and only an expression of love. I purpose to work life out of death, to bring freedom out of brokenness and turn darkness into light."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you! I absolutely loved the book and I think it's sad that so many were too hung up in religion to be able to receive the revelation. Reading your blog about it has inpired me to dust it off and read it again. Thanks!