Monday, September 10, 2012

Day 10: Vow of Silence.

Today we are reading Proverbs chapter 10 and Psalm chapters 46-50. Before you read today, ask God to speak to you through his word, and to open your eyes and ears to see and hear it!

-Read Scripture-



One day several years ago, my friend Tara and I decided to spend a day at a monastery in central Georgia. We wanted to attend the 7am mass, so we woke up at 5am to drive down there. I'll never forget that day. The sound of the monk's singing echoing through the cathedral, the sweet smile a nun gave me when she noticed my pink hair, eating with the monks in silence, sitting outside under the giant oak tree while reading the bible all afternoon. It was so quiet. It was a day full of quiet reverence. (And for those of you who know both Tara and myself, you know that quiet doesn't come naturally to us!) It was a struggle for us to keep quiet and silent, at first. Then it became easier. Then it became enjoyable. It was a beautiful day that I'll remember for a very very long time. But the biggest thing that I learned about myself is that I found relief in the quiet.



(If you want to learn more about the Monastery of the Holy Spirit in Conyers, visit here http://www.trappist.net/)

Now I've read Proverbs many times at this point, and if someone asked me to boil wisdom down into the most practical steps I could, I would tell them to live a disciplined life and to measure their words. Today, we are going to be focusing on measuring our words. Why this one? Quite frankly, because I struggle with this more than anything, and if it's a huge part of being wise, then I need to figure it out!

Our key verse for today is Proverbs 10:19, and I'm going to include all of the different versions I read through so as to include everyone! Plus, I love the way they are all worded.

"In the multitude of words sin is not lacking, but he who restrains his lips is wise." NKJ

"Sin is not ended by multiplying words, but the prudent hold their tongues." TNIV

"When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips are prudent." ESV

"The more talk, the less truth; the wise measure their words." The Message

"The more you talk, the more likely you will cross the line and say the wrong thing; but if you are wise, you'll speak less and with restraint." The Voice

There is absolutely nothing I can add to those verses. So I'll measure my words. ;) Words are powerful and they can build or destroy. They should be measured and handled with care. This is where my prayer for a selfless mouth comes into play. And I'm telling you, I struggle with this SO much. I can't tell you how many times I've wished I'd just shut my mouth, how many times I have regretted my words. I know the less I "chatter" the less likely I hurt someone's feelings, or gossip, or lie, or simply miss an opportunity to hear someone else. The less I speak the more I can hear you, the more I can listen to the needs of those around me.

Most of all, the less I speak, the easier it is to hear God. I love Psalm 50 because God speaks to us directly. If the author hadn't taken the time to listen we wouldn't have been able to read those words. We would have missed it.

When we pray to God, WE are talking. Praying is only half the equation. You've got to allow the silence to hear what God has to say. Next time you pray, allow the silence, allow yourself to hear him. Don't just fill the air with "chatter", allow God to fill it, if he so chooses to.

Abba, give us selfless mouths. Quick to listen, slow to speak and only speaking truth in love. Give us clear minds to remember and recall this very important truth in those times we find our mouths out of control. Help us to forgive those who have hurt us with words, help us realize that this is something we ALL struggle with. Thank you for the Holy Spirit who leads, guides, and directs us. May we honor and glorify you in all we say and do today and the rest of the week.

Amen

No comments: