Thursday, September 13, 2012

Day 14: Shoveling Manure.



Today we are reading Proverbs chapter 14 and Psalm chapters 66-70. Pray that God would reveal his plans for you today.

-Read Scripture-

So in preparing for today's study I had a little trouble. I was torn between two different topics to write about and finally gave in and asked God, "What do you want people to know today?" (Why is it that I always wait to go to him until I'm flustered, when I could have at the beginning and avoided the flusteredness?!)  After a few moments of silence, he answered.

THAT WHAT YOU DO WITH WHAT I GIVE YOU, DICTATES WHAT I GIVE YOU IN THE FUTURE.

Huh, stewardship. Well, thanks God but that wasn't either of my options. But of course after re-reading todays scripture through that lens, I noticed the theme. Guess God does know what he's doing and has a plan! :)

Everything we have is from God: finances, provisions, abundance, and hardships. What do we do with what he entrusts to us? Are we wise and generous? Or are we frivolous or stingy? Are we angry with the burdens he places on us, or do we learn, grow, and stretch ourselves?

Psalm 66:10-12 says, "He trained us first, passes us like silver through refining fires, Brought us into hardscrabble country, pushed us to our very limit, Road tested us inside and out, took us to hell and back; Finally he brought us to this well watered place." The Message 

(I can not even put into words how much I love these verses and what they mean to me personally.)

How do you handle your test? What tests are you currently going through? What hell are you in? Are you looking to God for sustaining or shaking your fist? The truth is, God tests us for a reason, he needs to prepare us for the work he has for us. It's never an easy process, but it is necessary. (Just a side note from me to you: The hotter your refining fire, the more important work he is preparing you for. So know that it is not for nothing, and let that fact encourage you. That God has something incredible for you when you are ready!)

My test/refining fire are my two beautiful, amazing autistic children. I've been through some dark and hellish years, but God used (and IS using) my children to mold me into who I am. I can honestly say that I would not be doing what I am doing today without that hardscrabble country.

The trouble with hard work is just that, it's hard. "All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty." Proverbs 14:23 TNIV God wants to know that we are willing to put in the work. It's just like the talents parable, he wants to know we will make the most of what he gives us! And he wants to know you're not afraid to get your hands dirty...

"Where no oxen are, the trough is clean; But much increase comes by the strength of an ox." Proverbs 14:4 TNKJ  I will tell you this, and I believe it with all I am, if God knows you are willing to shovel the manure, he'll give you the ox you need. It might sound a little silly, but I truly believe that God will give you everything you could ever need, if he knows you will take care of it and make the most of it.

I don't want you to take this as a "works based" thing. I am strictly referring to stewardship, not salvation, grace, or love. That is all free and unconditional, nothing we can do will change that. I just want us to be willing to work for his kingdom. Be willing to be refined, so you can work at your best. Because today, he wants you to know: THAT WHAT YOU DO WITH WHAT I GIVE YOU, DICTATES WHAT I WILL GIVE YOU IN THE FUTURE.

Abba, allow this to wash over us and encourage us. You have a purpose for all we go through, you have a plan. You have a job for us to do, and it's up to us to use what you entrusted to us to accomplish it. We are so thankful for your blessings, and your refining fire. You turn us into something better, more valuable than we could ever become on our own. Thank you for seeing the potential in us and bringing out the best in us. We love you and desire to honor you today with ALL you give us, all the good and the difficult.

Amen.

No comments: