Thursday, September 6, 2012

Day 7: Asking for directions...

Today we are reading Proverbs 7 and Psalm chapters 31-35. Ask God to prepare your heart to receive his truth today; because today, he definitely has a truth he wants to share with you. :)

-Read Scriptures-

Before I even opened the bibles and notebooks this morning to begin writing, God gave me a word during my personal journaling time. I pray a ton for my business. I pray for God's favor, wisdom, direction, and guidance.  I want my decisions with COLORS to glorify God and his will, so he gave me some encouragement. It wasn't until I opened my notebooks to write today's study, that I realized it was for you as well!

I love in Proverbs 7 how Solomon gives us a clear picture of how temptation works. Seducing and deceiving. The young man, "had no clue his life was at stake; everything was about to change." Proverbs 7:23 The Voice.  He had no clue. Isn't that the way it usually works. Temptation never announces itself, and that it's intention is to destroy us. There is no warning is there? But there is, and we just got it.

I tend to look at life as a journey, and through this journey we have opportunities to take different roads or paths. When I pray or read the bible, this principle is constantly used. "...and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:6 "...narrow the road that leads to life." Matthew 7:14 I could go on and on and translation after translation uses these words to describe life and our decision making.
Therefore when I pray, I tend to use this vernacular: lead, guide, and direct me.



So here is the encouragement that I received this particular morning, and I believe that it's extremely relevant to our study.

"IF YOU KEEP SEEKING AFTER ME, WHOLE-HEARTILY, YOU WILL STAY ON MY COURSE. YOU CAN'T STRAY TOO FAR OFF A PATH IF YOU'RE CHECKING YOUR LOCATION EVERYDAY.  EVERY TIME WE SPEND TIME TOGETHER, IT'S A HEART CHECK, IT'S A CHARACTER CHECK. IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO GET LOST IF YOU STOP.  IT'S THE PEOPLE WHO KEEP GOING, EVEN WHEN THEY ARE UNSURE, WHO GET LOST. IF UNSURE, STOP AND ASK FOR GUIDANCE. YOU'LL NEVER REGRET THAT. I PROMISE. I AM HERE FOR YOU ALWAYS." ABBA

He is SO right. I have never regretted stopping and asking for directions. You either realize you are heading the wrong way, or you get confirmation that you were heading in the right direction! And in life, I have never regretted pausing and having a heart check.

What if the young man in Proverbs had stopped and asked someone? If he had more information, would he have made a different decision? Imagine how many less bad decisions we would make if we were checking the status of our heart and character every single day? THAT is why this is so important. God promises us, "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you." Psalm 32:8 TNIV 

We have all we need to succeed in this life.  Let us not be clueless, like the young man in Proverbs.

Todays application: Simply stop and ask God for directions and see what he reveals to you.



2 comments:

Kayla S said...

Good morning. It was great waking up and knowing that I was going to be joining in on this study.
I really enjoyed reading the scripture, and then coming to your blog. Honestly, I had no idea of what it was referring to. I love that the Lord gives us such a strong and vivid representation of temptation. Like you said, it can easily be disguised in our lives.

I also love the verse you referenced at the end.
"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you." Psalm 32:8 TNIV

Thank you for doing this Steen!

Steen said...

Thanks Kayla! I'm SO excited that you have joined in. :)