Monday, September 17, 2012

Day 18: Undivided Heart.

Art by Karenee-art

Today we are reading Proverbs 18 and Psalm chapters 86-90. Before reading, pray that God reveals something new to you today!

-Read Scripture-

We've all heard that David was "a man after God's own heart." But was does that mean? I've grown up my whole life hearing that and wishing I could have that kind of heart, but never understanding how. About a year or so ago, I was reading about David in the message version of the bible and it read "...my servant David who did what I told him and lived from his undivided heart, pleasing me." 1 Kings 14:8. That is when it clicked for me! I want an undivided heart! A heart that is not divided between heaven and earth, but solely focused on God, 100%. That is what is a "man after God's own heart" looks like. Now that is something I understand and can strive for!

Since then, I've received confirmation after confirmation of this idea and principle. Let's look at Psalm 86:11 in ALL different translations.

"Teach me your way, O LORD; I will walk in your truth; Unite my heart to fear your name." NKJ

"Teach me your way, LORD, that I may rely on your faithfulness, give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name." TNIV

"Train me, GOD, to walk straight; then I'll follow your true path. Put me together, one heart and mind; then, undivided, I'll worship in joyful fear." The Message

"O Eternal One, guide me along your path so that I will live in your truth. Unite my divided heart so that I will fear Your great name." The Voice

We live divided. My heart is all over the place, divided between my children, husband, family, friends, work, money, and God. It is possible to live with an undivided heart. David did it, even with all the baggage and screw-ups. We just need to take all the things that divide us and look at them through the lens of God. How can I glorify him in all these areas? See the need to seek his guidance in these different areas. Be willing to surrender all of them to him.

I try to pray everyday for God to unite my divided heart, to make it 100% focused on him. The truth is, even though I'm not sure how to accomplish this, he knows how to. And very slowly I'm seeing my focuses change. I'm able to let go of the things that divided me and my attention. I am able now to focus on the things that I know he has called me to. It's been a very rewarding journey thus far.

We all have hundreds of things that divide our hearts. Today, think about how that looks for you. Are there things that need to be cut out? Are there important issues that need to be addressed through God's filter rather than the world's? Is there something you need to surrender? Or perhaps you just need to ask God to help you maintain your life but put him front and center. Whatever this looks like for you, I pray that God gives you the next steps.

Abba, I pray you unite our hearts today. Allow us to see our lives as they truly are, divided between heaven and earth. Thank you for Christ bridging the gap and the Holy Spirit that helps us accomplish what you have for us. Show us how to refocus our hearts and minds so that we can focus on you. 100%. Show us how to work, be in school, and live our lives with you at the center. Unite our hearts with yours so that they may beat together. Make your will our will, your cause our cause, and your desires our desires.
Seriously, I mean it. :)
Amen.

No comments: