Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Day 6: The List.



Today we are reading Proverbs chapter 6 followed by Psalm chapters 26-30. Before you start reading, (as always), ask God to prepare your heart to receive his truth for you today!

-Read Scriptures-

As followers of Christ, we should always be aiming to become more like Jesus. Our character should always be molding into a more Christ-like character. But sometimes I got frustrated. I mean, why didn't God just give us a list? Wouldn't that make it so much easier?!

Then I came across the "Seven things God hates" list. The following literally came to me as in the comics when a light bulb turns on over one's head. If these 7 things are the things he hates more than anything, then surely the opposite characteristics are the things he loves most! Really profound right?! Lol. Well, it makes perfect sense to me. :)

So here is the list according to the TNIV:

"There are 6 things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness that pours out lies, and a person who stirs up dissension in the community." Proverbs 6: 16-19 

(In case you were wondering, haughty eyes means seeing yourself as superior, being arrogant. I had to look that one up, not ashamed to say. :)

So using that list, I wrote my own "Things God loves" list and started praying to become these things every day. I have been praying this list over myself, my kids, and my husband for over a year! I figure that if I can use this list of characteristics as my guideline, then I will constantly be moving in the direction of becoming more Christ-like (no matter how slow). Now here is what I came up with. (Keep in mind, this is a list I wrote based on what I read, so take it for what it's worth, grain of salt and what not!)

Here are the 6 things God loves, 7 that are honorable to him (according to Steen):

Undivided heart: 100% focused on You, not on this world. (More on this concept later :)
Clear mind: to remember and recall Your truths.
Peaceful attitude: to bring people together, not to separate.
Compassionate eyes: eyes that are quick to embrace, not judge.
Selfless mouth: quick to listen, slow to speak, and speaking only truth.
Productive hands: accomplishing Your work.
Steady feet: following You, never to wander or stumble.

(When I pray it, I work from the head down. Start with the heart, mind, attitude, eyes, mouth, hands, then feet!)

I have found that you can run almost ANYTHING that comes your way through this filter/grid and know how to respond in a more Christ-like manner. Since I have begun praying for these specific traits, I've felt myself change. It's getting a bit easier to make right choices. I still struggle with several of them, (especially the selfless mouth). But slowly, God is molding me to become the person I am asking him to make me.

A prayer I want us to offer up and meditate on today:

"Examine me, GOD, from head to foot, order your battery of tests. Make sure I'm fit inside and out so I never lose sight of your love, But keep in step with you, never missing a beat." Psalm 26:2-3 The Message

My challenge for you: Pray this list over yourself and your loved ones every day for the rest of the month and just see what happens!








No comments: